Mittwoch, 28. September 2011

HE saw the best in me


via
These are the lines I will always connect with the church service we visited today in the First Nazareth Baptist Church. Funnily enough, I wasn't in the least nervous before getting into the church - I usually am in new situations, thinking about how it will be, what we will do etc. But not today. 

Today I walked into the church, listened to the wonderful music und started smiling like crazy. The atmosphere was magical and I was just watching in awe... not quite knowing what exactly  had happened to me when I crossed this threshold. I am by no means a religious person, for believers I am probably a heathen. I have not been christened and rarely visit churches, and if so, then for architectural reasons or  sightseeing. I think it is a very human characteristic to believe in something - anything really - fate, God, chance, etc., I am convinced that people and animals have souls, and that faith itself offers hope to many people who seem to have no hope, who feel alone, or simply enjoy the feeling of an almighty .father protecting us. As a student of American studies I also see religion in the US as some kind of marketplace. Churches in the United States need to "cater" to their customers, entertain them, make them feel good about themselves - or they will lose members of their congregation and possible generous donations. In Germany, Kirchensteuer provides churches with funds and services are mostly rather stiff.Well, at least, that's what I heard because I have never been to a regular Sunday service there... But I remember not liking the mass at Christmas to much.

The First Nazareth Baptist Church of Columbia will definitely not lose members because of ennui ;) The music was fantastic and I was actually moved to tears (I'm generally an old softie) more than once. "He saw the best in me" was one line in a song, ( click here) to which young women performed a dance. Curious and a little sceptical at first I watched them and only half-heartedly listened to the lyrics. But finally they hit home: This was the song for me! Being a contemplator and very critical of myself, I could not help feeling comforted and sad at the same time when I thought about the lyrics. Teary-eyed as I was I looked around me and saw so many happy faces, people swaying and singing along...  I wished I could have that kind of feeling, of contentedness, more often in my life. Somehow "worshipping" was far from being boring and stiff, it was actually fun and felt like something you were doing for yourself, like a spa treatment for your soul :) I guess you can tell that I loved it and I felt absolutely comfortable, even though - or maybe exactly because - we were almost the only white people in the church. I was constantly goshing over the fantastic voices, the atmosphere, the feeling of unity among the people. I will not convert but I will also definitely not forget this amazing experience.
That is why I would like to thank Valinda Littlefield for taking us with her to the service and for the not so quick lunch afterwards :) It has been an amazing Sunday and as of now it was the best day I've had on our trip.

Caro

PS: I guess this text is a little too emotional, but that's how I felt it ;)
 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen